FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 27, 2022
Senate Communications: Jacob Aki
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi – Senate President Ronald D. Kouchi (District 8 – Kauaʻi and Niʻihau) and the Kauaʻi House delegation – Representatives Nadine Nakamura, Dee Morikawa, and James Kunane Tokioka – have secured over $200 million in capital improvement projects (CIP) in the final version of the State’s Supplemental Budget (HB1600 HD1 SD2).
The Senate and House money committees unanimously approved the bill, which includes $8.7 billion in general funds and $16.9 billion through all methods of funding (MOF) for the fiscal biennium 2021 – 2023.
“Our delegation worked extremely hard this session to secure these funds for the people of Kauaʻi,” said Senate President Kouchi. “The past few years have been difficult due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and we believe that these appropriations will go a long way in addressing long-standing issues in our community.”
CIP funds appropriated in the budget include:
- $3,500,000 for plans, design, construction, and equipment for modifications to the Kekaha Ditch Irrigation System.
- $1,500,000 for the design, construction, and equipment for gym improvements at Kauaʻi High School.
- $1,182,000 for various improvements and repair projects at Koloa Elementary School.
- $1,000,000 for design, construction and renovation of the Emergency Department at the Kauaʻi Veterans Memorial Hospital.
- $8,000,000 for improvements, construction, and renovations for the Kauaʻi region of the Hawaiʻi Health Systems Corporation.
- $380,000 for plans, designs, and improvements at Samuel Mahelona Hospital.
- $1,250,000 for land acquisition of property at Halulu Fishpond (partial matching funds will be provided by the County of Kauaʻi).
- $2,000,000 for construction repair of Queensland crossing along Wailua Access Road
- (Loop Road).
- $4,100,000 for plans, designs and construction of a new boat ramp at Kikiola Harbor.
- $2,500,000 for plans, design and construction for improvements at the Kokeʻe/Waimea Canyon State Park Complex.
- $4,700,000 for plans, designs and construction for various improvements at Polihale State Park.
- $3,766,000 for improvements at the Hanapēpē Stadium.
- $13,000,000 for various improvements to the track and field at Vidinha Stadium.
- $19,700,000 for design, construction and other improvements to the Wailua-Kapaʻa Water System.
- $124,100,000 for design, construction and improvements to various facilities at the
- Līhuʻe Airport.
- $2,000,000 for plans, land acquisition, design and construction at Nāwiliwili Harbor.
- $2,000,000 for plans, design, construction and land acquisition for Port Allen Harbor.
- $4,300,000 for design, construction and installation of guardrails in various areas on Kauaʻi.
- $100,000 for renovations and improvements to the Department of Transportation’s
- Kauaʻi District Baseyard.
- $1,000,000 for land acquisition and widening of Kaumualiʻi Highway.
- $4,000,000 for land acquisition, construction and improvements at Kolo Road/Kalamania Road.
- $500,000 for construction on Kūhiō Highway (Laukini Road to Kapule Highway).
- $8,000,000 for the repair of the Hanalei Bridge.
- $2,001,000 for plans, construction and equipment of a light signalization near Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center and Wailua Golf Course.
- $400,000 for slope stabilization at Lumahaʻi Hillside.
- $6,800,000 for miscellaneous improvements to existing intersections and highway facilities on Kauaʻi.
- $1,501,000 for construction and equipment for repairs to the Wailua River Bridge.
- $7,700,000 for road repairs and installation of guardrails, pavement markings, and other improvements on Waimea Canyon Drive/Kokeʻe Road.